In the interconnected sites inland from Bibione, there are numerous activities for tourists to enjoy as part of an all-embracing holiday experience in which the beach and the sea are just the first of a long series of attractions.
The coastal and inland areas complement each other and offer visitors an endless array of original opportunities. What will you find in the surrounding area? Historic towns and villages, museums, archaeological sites, natural environments, and a host of farms where you can sample traditional local products.
Exploring the area at a leisurely pace really brings out the best of its many delights and helps you to see that the town and its surroundings are not separate entities but intertwined parts of a coalesced whole.
The noble homes of Portogruaro frame the historic centre and embellish its architectural beauty. The most important include the 15th century Palazzo de Götzen, Casa Longo, with its important decorative compositions, Palazzetto Fratto, which also hosted Ippolito Nievo, Palazzo Moro, with two elegant trifora, and Palazzo Muschietti, still embellished today by an external frieze featuring fruit under the eaves of the roof.
This interesting museum is located in the Belfiore area, a hamlet of the Municipality of Pramaggiore. It is housed near Villa Dalla Pasqua, one of the most ancient buildings, with the special shape of a defensive-style closed courtyard.
Inside the museum is a grinding room, work tools and various objects used for a range of activities. It reconstructs the economic and agricultural history of the local area.
This was designed by the architect Balestra and was the property of the Mocenigo family until the eve of the First World War, then passing into the hands of the Mayer family from Trieste, to the Sinigallia and the Gandolfi. To the left of the entrance is a tall rice stack, powered by a wheel placed on an artificial canal, which is now no longer in use. Today the building is the property of the ATER, which has carried out extensive restoration and has transformed it into a private residence.
This was built in the mid-12th century then restored from 1252-56. After 1281 it took the name of the St. Francis Gate, after the adjoining church of the same name. It was also restored in the mid-16th century when the podestà Giorgio Gradenigo had what is now via Martiri paved. Its current name, Porta San Gottardo, recalls another church, which was originally outside the gate, on the site of the present Care Home for the Elderly.
Excavation in Concordia began in the last century. A Roman bridge was found under the town and a 4th-5th century B.C. burial ground known as the soldier’s burial ground was discovered on the left of the River Lemene.
In 1983 remains of the Baths were brought to light and, in the square in front of the cathedral, remains were discovered of homes with drains and floors, as well as a part of the Decumanus Maximus, the main street of the town.
The via dei Pozzi Romani (a side street of via S.Pietro) saw the discovery of two Roman wells.
The facade of the Church of St. Biagio is in Renaissance style. However, in 1937, it collapsed and was rebuilt in a classical, neo-Palladian style. The current church has three naves and was completed at the end of the last century.
Inside is a marble baptismal font made by Giovanni Antonio Pilacorte in 1486 and an altarpiece of the crucifixion by Gregorio Lazzarini. The latter is a fine painting that effectively renders the dramatic tension of the event.
Here in Bibione, we know what your body and spirit need and we take care of both! Do you always try to attend a Sunday service, including when you’re on holiday?
This page is for all those looking for information about church services not only in Italian but also in German, Polish and Slovak.
- Santa Maria Assunta (18 Via Antares)
Parish priest: Father Andrea Vena
Telephone: +39 0431 43178
Fax: +39 0431 43178
Summer services: Weekdays: 6.00 pm – Thursdays: 8.00 am – Saturdays: 6.00 pm – Sundays: 9.00 am and 11.00 am.
- Church of Santo Stefano (3/A Via delle Colonie)
- Chapel of Maria Regina della Pace (“Pasotto” Pastoral Centre – 18/A Via Capricorno Ovest, Lido dei Pini)
- Chapel of San Pietro (Via Puccini, 30020, Lido del Sole)
- Chapel of Sant’Antonio (Via degli Asfodeli, Bibione Pineda)
For more information about mass times and details of mass in other languages, see www.parrocchia-bibione.org.
- Bibione Pineda, Sant’Antonio (13 Via Baseleghe)
Weekdays: no mass
Saturdays: 7.00 pm
Sundays: 8.00 am and 10.30 am
- Lido del Sole, San Pietro (Via Vivaldi)
Sundays and public holidays: 10.30 am
- Lido dei Pini, Regina della Pace (Via Lira)
Weekdays: no mass
Saturdays: 7.00 pm
Sundays: 9.00 am
- Bibione, “Santo Stefano” (Via delle Colonie)
Mass will be held in other languages until September.
Mass from September onward
No mass will take place in the summer chapels (Lido del Sole, Bibione Pineda and Lido dei Pini).
In the parish church:
Weekdays: 8.00 am (until September) and 6.00 pm
Saturdays: 6.00 pm
Sundays: 9.00 am, 11.00 am and 6.00 pm (until September)
San Michele al Tagliamento was virtually rebuilt after the Second World War. Among the various restorations is the little Church of St. Elizabeth of the Agnolina, inside which are two frescoes that date back to the 16th century, showing the Blessed Virgin of the Graces and the Annunciation with the Trinity.
On an octagonal base, next to the Palazzo Municipale, is the ancient well of the cranes, a symbol of Portogruaro. The well is the work of Giovanni Antonio Pilacorte, who completed it in 1494. The two cranes are the work of Valentino Turchetto, a sculptor from Portogruaro, who created them in 1928. The previous cranes were removed during the Austrian invasion in 1917 to make cannons.
A beautiful example of an 18th century Veneto villa, Villa Freschi is located in the ancient hamlet of Ramuscello Vecchio. An avenue of poplar trees leads to the villa, which has a large courtyard with the manor house in the background. On the sides are two barchesse (rural service buildings). The ancient church of St. Anastasia is also here. To the rear of the villa are the grounds and a lake.
The Portogruaro Municipal Contemporary Art Gallery dates back to just after the Second World War. It has hosted exhibitions by internationally
famous artists like De Pisis, Carena, Guttuso, Saetti, Guidi, Afro, Vedova and Springolo.
St. Agnes’ Gate was built in the 12th century. It is owned by the Municipality of Portogruaro. Various restorations have taken place over the centuries, from the 16th century onwards, when podestà Girolamo Zorzi had pavement laid down from the tower to the bishop’s palace.
The Museum was founded in 1885 and named the National Museum of Concordia to underline its close relationship with the nearby archaeological area of Concordia Sagittaria. It was headed by Dario Bertolini, who first organised the archaeological material in the building. Most of the materials are relics discovered between 1873 and 1882 in the vast archaeological area of Concordia Sagittaria; above all the burial site from the late Roman Age.
This was the first sanctuary built in Italy in honour of the Holy Virgin, known as the “Madonna of Fatima”.
Work began in 1947 on land donated by Count Gaetano Marzotto, on the outskirts of the town of Portogruaro, along the Treviso-Portogruaro state highway. The foundations of the church and the convent were laid on 13th September 1949 and excavation began two days later.
The sanctuary was consecrated by Bishop Vittorio De Zanche on 13th May 1954. Since 1999, the convent adjacent to the sanctuary has been the home of the Centre for Evangelisation of the Capuchins of Veneto and Friuli Venezia Giulia.
The Zignago Industrial Group was founded in the ‘30s by Count Gaetano Marzotto, an entrepreneur who was head of the Valdagno (VI) textile group set up in the 19th century by his grandfather Luigi. Count Marzotto acquired an estate of over 1,000 hectares in the area of Villanova, a hamlet in the municipality of Fossalta di Portogruaro. Here the new agricultural centre gave an enormous impetus to the local Fossalta productive framework, managing companies according to the model of the social town of Valdagno, creating homes for workers, a nursery school, a hotel, a park, two tennis courts, a boules court, a skating rink, a Carabinieri barracks, a hospital and a textiles school. The Marzotto family are still the owners of Zignago Santa Margherita Industries today, including a glassworks, flax mill and wineries in Villanova.
The San Stene Castrum has a thousand-year-old history. The first papal bull citing the Castle of San Stino dates back to 1186. In 1388 it was conquered and set on fire by the Venetians, who nevertheless over the years transformed it into a sumptuous home for noble Venetian families. Originally it probably had towers that no longer exist. The Castle is currently owned by the Tonini family.
The typical Mills of St. Andrew (named after the town district in which they are located) are part of Portogruaro’s ancient heritage, which are highlighted by the setting of the historic centre. They were cited in a papal bull of 1186 as “Portum de Gruario cum molendinis”. They were initially used for milling and today have been converted into an art gallery.
They host exhibition openings and prestigious cultural evenings.
Portogruaro This is housed in the Villa Comunale, a lovely 16th century building by Bergamasco. It was opened in 1976 as the “Michele Gortani” museum with 10 display cases. Today there are 25 cases housing around 1500 fossils. They range from the lower Palaeolithic era to the appearance of man. Most come from Veneto, Fruili and Carnia.
Lino Grando has always loved local memorabilia and other objects and has an extraordinary collection of furnishings, knick knacks and objects from the daily lives of our ancestors. Giannino Fontanel’s private museum is an extraordinary example of a historic reconstruction of the First World War. Inside are thousands of objects, from uniforms to camp utensils. It is a monument to our history.
The building dates back to the 18th century, although one particular document attached to the baptism registry hints at a pre-existing church dedicated to the Blessed Virgin. It has an atmospheric facade embellished by an harbour and by two characteristic grooved oval windows.
Inside is a statue of the virgin by the artist Valentino Besarel. The dedication of the church recalls the proclamation of the dogma of the immaculate conception by Pope Pius IX, on 8th December 1854.