Palazzo Municipale (The Town Hall)
Piazza della Repubblica 1, 30026 Portogruaro, Italia ( 450 m from centre) - show map
DescriptionPortogruaro town hall was erected in two different periods. The central part was built in 1265. Initially it reunited the original and free citizens of Portogruaro in a general assembly and later became the headquarters for meetings of the Maggio Consiglio, (The May Council) with 15 aristocratic members of 25 years of age or more.
This appointed the Podestà (a rare privilege for a Municipality, granted by Bishop Tisone da Camino). In 1371 the Palace caught fire and between 1372 and 1380 a new loggia was built with Ghibelline battlements.
The two lateral wings were built in the 16th century. In 1848 the building was partly decorated in “questionable Gothic style” and in 1887 the prison was moved to the ground floor of its new headquarters in via Seminario.
Next events near