St. Andrew’s Cathedral
Corso Martiri della Libertà, 80, 30026 Portogruaro, Italia ( 400 m from centre) - show map
DescriptionSt. Andrew’s Cathedral was built on the remains of three previous churches: St. Frances, St. Lazarus and St. James. Work began on 4th August 1793 and ended only in 1833. It was inaugurated in the same year by Bishop Carlo Fontanini, who consecrated this majestic Neo-Classical church.
The cathedral, with its three naves, is 55.07 metres long, 20.38 metres wide at the transept, 23.4 metres high at the central cupola and 19 metres high at the ceiling. In 1925 it was decorated by Tiburzio Donadon from Pordenone. It contains various fine works of art, including the “Holy Conversation” and the “Stories of St. Andrew” by Pomponio Amalteo, and the “St. Roch, and the “Resurrection Altarpiece” by Jacopo Negretti.
The “St. Thomas Altarpiece” by Cima da Conegliano, which was originally housed in the cathedral, was sold at a time when money was short for 1800 pounds to the British Museum. The bell tower, which is currently 59 metres high was originally 47 metres. The facade was renovated in 1879, together with the pinnacle.