Cart
Cart

Places of interest

Map view

Filter by

Found 93 results
Map view
List
List
Grid
On an octagonal base, next to the Palazzo Municipale, is the ancient well of the cranes, a symbol of Portogruaro. The well is the work of Giovanni Antonio Pilacorte, who completed it in 1494. The two cranes are the work of Valentino Turchetto, a sculptor from Portogruaro, who created them in 1928. The previous cranes were removed during the Austrian invasion in 1917 to make cannons. 


Details
The Apostolorum Maior Basilica, under the present cathedral, is part of the complex archaeological area of piazza Costantini. It was erected on the remains of warehouses linked to homes from the 1st century A.D. to house the reliquaries of several saints.

Details
St. Andrew’s Cathedral was built on the remains of three previous churches: St. Frances, St. Lazarus and St. James. Work began on 4th August 1793 and ended only in 1893. It was inaugurated in the same year by Bishop Carlo Fontanini, who consecrated this majestic Neo-Classical church.
The cathedral, with its three naves, is 55.07 metres long, 20.38 metres wide at the transept, 23.4 metres high at the central cupola and 19 metres high at the ceiling. In 1925 it was decorated by Tiburzio Donadon from Pordenone. It contains various fine works of art, including the “Holy Conversation” and the “Stories of St. Andrew” by Pomponio Amalteo, and the “St. Roch, and the “Resurrection Altarpiece” by Jacopo Negretti.
The “St. Thomas Altarpiece” by Cima da Conegliano, which was originally housed in the cathedral, was sold at a time when money was short for 1800 pounds to the British Museum. The bell tower, which is currently 59 metres high was originally 47 metres. The facade was renovated in 1879, together with the pinnacle.
Details
This ancient church of Concordia, recently requalified as a cathedral, was extensively renovated in the late 15th century. It originally had a single nave and two other naves were added in the 17th century. There are many wooden parts and furnishings inside. 

Details
The ancient church of Fossalta, founded around the year 1000, was demolished in 1893. The new church was designed in 1892 by engineer Federico Berchet, followed by architect Domenico Rupolo, who completed the work.
The “domo de Fossalta” (Fossalta cathedral) was completed in 1896. There is still a great deal of work to finish and over the years the two large marble altars of the Holy Virgin of the Belt and of St. Biagio and the altar were placed in the lateral transepts.
The completion of the new main altar, also designed by Rupolo, completed the choir stalls and the upper part of the apse, right above the Lugugnana Canal, together with the construction of two lateral sacristies.


Details
The San Stene Castrum has a thousand-year-old history. The first papal bull citing the Castle of San Stino dates back to 1186. In 1388 it was conquered and set on fire by the Venetians, who nevertheless over the years transformed it into a sumptuous home for noble Venetian families. Originally it probably had towers that no longer exist. The Castle is currently owned by the Tonini family.


Details
Inaugurated in 1984, the museum houses a large part of the memorabilia of Ippolito Nievo, one of Italy’s most popular writers and the author of the novel “Confessions of an Italian”.
It contains around one hundred items, including a trunk and clothes belonging to the writer. The collection was initially made possible thanks to materials from the Castle of Colloredo of Montalbano, where it was originally housed. The castle was forced to remove these items due to the major earthquake that hit Friuli in 1976.
In the display cabinets of the “Ippolito Nievo” Museum in Fossalta di Portogruaro – housed in the Town Arts Centre – are all the editions of the aforementioned masterpiece and an original copy of the newspaper “Il Caffè”, signed by Nievo..




Details
A beautiful example of an 18th century Veneto villa, Villa Freschi is located in the ancient hamlet of Ramuscello Vecchio. An avenue of poplar trees leads to the villa, which has a large courtyard with the manor house in the background. On the sides are two barchesse (rural service buildings). The ancient church of St. Anastasia is also here. To the rear of the villa are the grounds and a lake.


Details
Innovation and dynamism are the words to describe this meeting place which opened in 2008 and has given a touch of life to Bibione’s night life. Cafés and coffee shops are on ground floor, a restaurant on the second floor. A magnificent terrace joins the American bar and the lounge for those who love tranquillity.

From summer 2011, besides traditional cuisine, Glow serves pizzas, too. Don’t miss our musical evenings which characterise our after-dinner. What’s more, every Sunday from 7.00 p.m. to 9.00 p.m., Radio Fantasy broadcasts live with music and interviews.
Details
This was the first sanctuary built in Italy in honour of the Holy Virgin, known as the “Madonna of Fatima”.
Work began in 1947 on land donated by Count Gaetano Marzotto, on the outskirts of the town of Portogruaro, along the Treviso-Portogruaro state highway. The foundations of the church and the convent were laid on 13th September 1949 and excavation began two days later.
The sanctuary was consecrated by Bishop Vittorio De Zanche on 13th May 1954. Since 1999, the convent adjacent to the sanctuary has been the home of the Centre for Evangelisation of the Capuchins of Veneto and Friuli Venezia Giulia.







Details
This was built in the mid-12th century then restored from 1252-56. After 1281 it took the name of the St. Francis Gate, after the adjoining church of the same name. It was also restored in the mid-16th century when the podestà Giorgio Gradenigo had what is now via Martiri paved. Its current name, Porta San Gottardo, recalls another church, which was originally outside the gate, on the site of the present Care Home for the Elderly. 

Details